Friday, June 17, 2011

My Wall-E-beware, long story.

I thought I'd take a little break from wedding related blog posts, and tell all you dear blog stalkers a little something something about the soon to be Mr. and Mrs. Since a lot of you have only known one of us, either you're a friend of mine from Lipscomb, or you knew both of us at Harding, or are a friend of Adam's from Texas, I thought I'd catch everyone up on our little "story."
It all began just a few weeks into our freshmen year at Harding University in fall 2007. We met through mutual friends and both will tell you different stories as to where we actually were when we first met. Adam will tell you we were in the caf, but I could swear up and down we were in one of the guys' dorms during an open house. Either way, we met, and became close friends. We even had New Testament Bible together, where Adam would be "shamed" multiple times by our outrageous professor for not bringing his Bible to class. Adam became one of my best guy friends that semester, and when I decided to transfer to Lipscomb that Spring, he did not let me transfer easily! In the Spring, while I was at Lipscomb, we kept in contact with each other and occasionally caught up over the phone. I didn't really think anything of it, and just assumed he was being the sweet guy friend I knew he was.
In June 2008, we started talking more via Facebook Chat and Texts. Long story short, Adam let it slip that he really cared about me and had always had a little crush on me, and that he was super sad when I decided to transfer schools. My thoughts: Really Adam? You're about 6 months too late. 
Well, I wasn't too upset about this because I had always thought he was SUCH a good guy and would totally be marriage material, but "it would never work out."
So we kept talking and texting anyways, and then he made the first move. On July 4, 2008, my friend Miki called me and asked me to come meet her at Starbucks because she "really needed to talk to me about something." So I did, and when I got there, guess who just so happend to be there also. Adam.
Talk about a surprise! That little booger drove 12 hours that day to surprise me on the 4th of July. After getting over the shock of him being there, we walked around downtown Franklin for a bit and then headed out to where the annual fireworks show would be. I. Was. So. Nervous. What girl wouldn't be?? This boy that I'm trying so hard not to like because oh I don't know, he lives 12 hours away, has driven all the way up here just to surprise me and spend a day and a half with me. Ugh, he made it reallllly difficult not to like him. So we're sitting there waiting for the fireworks to start, which so happened to be at this little park next to the pool I was working at that summer, and we're both making small talk because this is obviously nerve wracking for the both of us. Then the show starts. And we're sitting on this little path with our legs stretched out in front of us watching and listening to the booming of the fireworks. The next thing I know, it's the finale of the fireworks, and I feel him grab my hand, grab my face, and thus the best first-kiss of all time. (Ok, I'm a little biased, but I really felt like I was in a movie. Timing is everything, and he nailed it ladies!) Enough details. After that we strolled down deserted Main Street and sat on a bench under an awning while it started raining. The "DTR" ensued, as did the "is this really going to go anywhere?" It finally got super late and we walked back to where we were parked, may or may not have had our 2nd kiss in the pouring rain, and then said goodnight and made plans to meet up in the morning. So the next morning, we went to breakfast, I showed him around Lipscomb, and then we headed to downtown Nashville and took a walk on the walking bridge, where we took our first picture! (Not that anyone cares about our first picture...but look who you're talking to.) After showing Adam downtown, we headed back to my house then decided to go see a movie. And that movie was....WALL-E!!
It could not have been more perfect. If anyone out there hates this movie and doesn't appreciate the cute lovey-dovey symobolism...you are a heartless poophead. 
We consider Wall-E to be our first date, and I'm so glad it was. 
That night, we said our goodbyes, and Adam left early the next morning to drive back to Texas. Thanks for the 36-hour heart-string-pulling-weekend Adam. 
So over the next month we talked more seriously about what we were going to do, and if we really thought it would work out. After all, we were going to schools that were 5 hours apart. Lucky for Adam, I'm a go-getter. 
About a month later, I somehow wrangled two very sweet friends of mine into taking a little roadtrip down to Dallas to go "shopping." Ha. Jessica and Amanda, ya'll are great. 
That roadtrip I will never forget.
The funny thing about this little road trip was that I failed to mention it to Adam. He should have seen it coming though, after that little stunt he pulled on me!
So we get to the hotel and I still haven't come up with a way to surprise him yet. Then we get on our laptops on Facebook and Adam is on. Perfect. So I said hello, and he asked what I was up to, to which I replied, "Oh nothing...just hanging out in Arlington." He thought I was either kidding or talking about Arlington, TN. I then let him know that nope, I was in Arlington, TX. After much convincing that I wasn't lying, he hopped in his car and headed out to our hotel. SURPRISE. Muahaha. So that week, in between exploring Dallas with the girls, I met Adam's family and got to spend a few date nights with him before time to head back to Nashville and get ready for the new school year. 
We essentially decided that we were in fact "dating" and would take turns coming to see each other. 
Insert, sophomore year of college and lots of traveling back and forth between Harding and Lipscomb on the weekends. That 5 hour drive would soon become second nature. 
Towards the end of sophomore year, Adam and I started talking even more seriously about future plans. I basically came to the conclusion that if I really wanted this to work, I was going to have to chase after it and make it work. Also, if I was going to transfer, now was the time. 
So I did. 
 I transferred back to Harding that fall at the beginning of Junior year, hoping and praying I had made the right decision to return and pursue this relationship. 
Yea, I was that girl. I was that girl who transferred schools for a boy. 
It turned out to be the one of the best decisions I have ever made though. I never knew how much I loved Harding and everything about it, until I came back. 
So we continued dating all of Junior year. Then summer after junior year, we both stayed in Searcy for the majority of the summer, where we hilariously both got jobs at the Country Club. 
Then Senior year came, and I graduated in December. I stayed in Searcy though until May and worked and enjoyed being out of school. I wasn't about to move home in December, and lengthen the time of long distance I knew we would have to do again. 
So then Adam went on vacation with my family, proposed, I said yes, and here we are, 3 years later, planning our wedding. 
Ta-daaaaa. (Just imagine Wall-E saying that)


-The Future Mrs.

No comments:

Post a Comment